Name Change

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 Information effective: April 2022

A person desiring to change their legal name may file an action in the District Court of their residence. A person is free to choose any name he/she wants, provided it is not done for fraudulent purposes.

The Court clerks can explain Court procedures and provide information about the status of your case; however, they are not qualified or permitted by law to give legal advice. This means that when there are alternative ways to proceed, they cannot advise you on which course of action to take.

  • Forms are available at the District Court Office
  • The filing fee is $305.00, which is non-refundable, for each person requesting a name change

All documents must be filled out completely and legibly. Please read the statements carefully, as you will be signing this document and swearing to it under penalty of perjury.

Please keep the following rules in mind when requesting a name change:

  1. Any person requesting that their name change be sealed should file in Superior Court.
  2. You must be a legal resident of Skamania County.
  3. You must be eighteen (18) years or older to request a name change. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
  4. The clerk of the Court will schedule a court date and time once you have filed the required documents and provided the $305.00 filing fee. You MUST be present at the hearing. At the hearing, the District Court Judge will consider the petition and make a ruling.
  5. You will be provided with a certified copy of the name change order, once it has been signed by the Judge, at no additional cost.

Pursuant to GR 34, a fee waiver is available, upon request.  If the fee waiver is granted, it covers all filing, administrative, and recording fees.

Any person requesting that their name change be sealed will need to file their petition in Superior Court.  For questions regarding sealing a name change, please contact the Skamania County Clerk's Office:  (509) 427-3770.

If you need to obtain a copy of a previous name change order, please contact the Skamania County Auditor's Office:  (509) 427-3730.